The Making of a Medical Dissident: My Path to Functional Medicine

6846023_s
Photo Credit: kellybroganmd.com

'Always curious about alternative medicine, I didn’t see the light until I was prescribed my first medication for my first diagnosis – postpartum hypothyroidism. Having never had to put any effort into my well-being (no exercise, yes all-nighters, McDonald’s, and candy), it was dissonant to appreciate that I had something wrong inside me when I looked, pretty much, the same as always.

Sure, I had been forgetful and tired, but I had just completed a decade of medical training and had a baby. I wanted to “get rid of this”, so I went to a naturopath and she introduced me to the interconnectedness of the gut, hormones, and immune system. She helped me to ask, “why” my thyroid was being attacked, and gave me tools to heal.'


Read more...

No comments: