1. Lyme disease did not start appearing until the mid-1970s.
2. It's one of the fastest growing infectious diseases in the US.
3. It's first recorded outbreak was in Old Lyme, Connecticut.
4. Old Lyme, CT is directly across Long Island sound from Plum Island which for years the US government claimed was an entirely benign livestock disease research center.
5. Characteristically, the federal government lied about the fact that biological warfare experiments were conducted on the island for decades. They were forced to give up this charade in 1993 when a Newsday unearthed documents proving otherwise.
6. Extensive experiments were conducted on Plum Island that involved creating diseases and infecting ticks with them- all in the name of protecting America's livestock.
7. Like many clandestine research programs, Plum Island appears to have had former Nazi scientists in the role of advisors, specifically Dr. Erich Traub, who was in charge of the Third Reich's virological and bacteriological warfare program in World War II.
If you have trouble believing that the US would employ Nazi war criminals after World War II, do some basic homework. Nazi scientists received a warm welcome in US aerospace and biological and chemical warfare programs.The US also actively recruited Japanese war criminals for this purpose.
About the new movie: Under Our Skin